Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Evil Ogre Step Mom Strikes Again!!!! aka: veggies for lunch

MWAHAHAHAHAaaaaa.....(evil laugh)

I make my kids eat veggies, even for lunch. Yep that's me - EVIL!!!! I guess I could be even meaner by eating bon bons in front of them, but I torture myself as well and eat the same things as they do, usually.  There are exceptions, like PB& J and hot dogs. Not that I have anything against those particular childhood favorites, but they can be tiring. Therefore we don't always have those either.  The usual lunch fare around this house consists of sandwiches with veggies (potatoes are veggies, right? Therefore potato chips would then qualify, yes?) but at the very least they always have something actually healthy like fruit or veggie sticks on the side or the ultimate lunch fare (for me anyway) is leftovers.  Most of the time, the left overs are just that, but there are times like today that they are taken to a much higher notch!  I haven't been to the store as of late, been pretty much a recluse.  Its been a pretty difficult month for me, emotionally.  In eight days, it will be the one year anniversary of my daughter's death, hence the lack of posts.  So I haven't really want to be out in public and since I do most of the shopping, we are down to a whole lot of nothing in the house.  We do however have left overs...(insert evil giggle here)! Since I do have to feed the little urchins, I open up the door to the fridge and create!

Excerpt of actual conservation with myself:

Hmmmmm, what to make, what to make?????

Let's see....left over pasta, a carrot or two, half an onion, corn on the cob....

hey look we actually do have meat! Turkey kielbasa!

Soooo what else....better use up those green beans from the other night, garlic, butter, parsley...

By golly I think we have a meal!

Whip out my great big pan, throw in some olive oil and away we go!!! The following is exactly what I had and how I did it.  If you are like me, use whatever you have on hand, but this was really good!

What the heck am I gonna make Pasta!
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2  onion, chopped fine
3-4 garlic cloves, minced (to your liking - we really like garlic around here)
1lb or a package of smoked sausage or kielbasa, cut up
1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cooked corn on the cob, kernels cut off, about a cup
1/2 cup green beans, cooked
1 small bunch of parsley, chopped, about two tablespoons
2 tablespoons of butter
juice of a lemon
leftover cooked pasta, about 1/2 lb cooked

saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until translucent, throw in the sausage and brown, cook the carrots until tender then add the rest of the ingredients to warm through and make the sauce. 

Voila! This served me and two hungry kids, though my plate was rather full and so was my stomach.  A couple more carrots, maybe some extra green beans and pasta, it would certainly feed my husband as well.  The other part that tends to confuse me about Moo and Blue is they both have this thing about their food being separated into nice little piles. Meat separate from the veggie separate from the side.  That's it, otherwise they look at their plates like I just gave them some greasy grimy gopher guts....I got that same look today, silly children.  Sorry for no pics of this delicious and very colorful meal, but momma was hungry!

Now what to make for dinner.....oh look tuna!

No comments:

Post a Comment